Construction started on this building in 1802 and was completed in 1805, designed by the renowned Scottish Architect David Hamilton, originally built as a hospital for the elderly and a school for poor boys. The Hutcheson’s school continues to the present day in other properties in Glasgow as Hutcheson’s Grammar School.
The building was converted in 2014 into a luxurious Bar/Restaurant, with one of the best interiors in the city.
We were appointed as specialist contractors to carry out extensive cornice restoration to various areas in this grade A listed building situated in Ingram Street Glasgow.
The building had suffered years of neglect and severe water damage when we first visited site to survey the job. The entire staircase and parts of the main entrance (now the bar) were stripped back to bare sandstone.
Our remit was to replicate all the damaged sections of the enriched cornice, panel mouldings, archways and centre pieces and renew using traditional methods.
The original plaster cornices, centre pieces and panel mouldings were severely damaged by water but we were lucky enough to salvage enough sections to replicate, these were removed to our Glasgow workshop where templates were taken from the plaster profiles and moulds formed from all the enriched ornamentation ready for fitting on site.
The heavy plaster panel mouldings were run insitu using jigs and rebated running moulds, these were fitted to the concave, curved section of the hallway, this is a particularly tricky job to do but our craftsmen were up to the task and reinstated all missing and damaged mouldings exactly as they were originally.
The new ornate cornice containing egg, leaf and flower enrichments extends around the entrance and bar area, we fitted a new ornate floral and leaf centre piece to the ceiling which complimented the design of the cornice.
Now that the building is in such good condition and has been fully restored hopefully it can be enjoyed by visitors for another couple of hundred years or more.